Miller Theater, Asia Society Hong Kong Center, 9 Justice Drive, Admiralty, Hong Kong
26 September 2020, 10 am – 5 pm
Supported by the Hong Kong Arts Development Council
Session One: Primary and Secondary Market: Art Fairs, Auction Houses and Galleries
10:00am – 11:00am (Panel Conducted in Cantonese)
With a central focus on how the primary and secondary markets function and interact with each other, the first session will give students a general overview of Hong Kong’s art market and its position on an international scale.
- Felix Kwok, Director, Asia, Head of Sale, Modern Asian Art, Sotheby’s
- Catherine Kwai, Founder and Managing Director, Kwai Fung Hin Art Gallery
- Angelle Siyang-Le, Regional Head of Gallery Relations Asia, Art Basel
Moderator: Amanda Hon, Managing Director, Ben Brown Fine Arts
Session Four: Curators
2:00pm – 3:00pm (Panel Conducted in Cantonese)
Understand the role of curators, explore current curatorial issues and compare curatorial practices with our seasoned speakers who boast a range of exhibiting experience that span the grounds of galleries and non-profits.
- Tina Pang, Curator of Hong Kong Visual Culture, M+
- Qu Chang, Independent Curator and Writer
Moderator: Andre Chan, Independent Curator
Q & A session
Session Two: Non-profits: Museums, Foundations and Government Initiatives
11:00am – 12:00pm (Panel Conducted in English)
Not-for-profit organisations constitute to an important part of the art ecosystem – learn more about the daily routine, experience and challenges of working at museums and government-funded art centers.
- Alice Mong, Executive Director, Asia Society Hong Kong Center
- Connie Lam, Executive Director, Hong Kong Arts Centre
- Chin Chin Teoh, Director of JCCPS, Tai Kwun – Centre for Heritage and Arts
Moderator: Dr. Raymond Tang, Curator (Modern and Hong Kong Art), Hong Kong Museum of Art
Session Five: Journalists and Art Critics
3:00pm – 4:00pm (Panel Conducted in English)
This session will talk about how critical writing and research influence the direction of discussions, evaluations and debates in the art scene, as well as how students can equip themselves for opportunities in this area.
- Harald P. Kraemer, Collecteur and Raconteur
- Yang Yeung, Independent Curator and Writer
Moderator: Vivienne Chow, Cultural Journalist, Writer and Founder of Non-profit
Session Three: Artists
1:00pm – 2:00pm (Panel Conducted in Cantonese)
For students who are developing their creative practices into a career or interested in understanding how artists engage with different facets of the art ecosystem, this is a panel not to be missed. Featuring local artists with experience in exhibitions, art fairs and international festivals, this session will give you a behind-the-scene look at the career path of artists in Hong Kong.
- Mak Ying Tung 2, Artist
- Pak Sheung Chuen, Artist
- Isaac Leung, Artist, Curator and Educator
Moderator: Sara Wong, Artist
Session Six: Professional Development in the Market
4:00pm – 5:00pm (Panel Conducted in English)
As a wrap up of the Masterclass, senior art talent recruiters and gallerists will help students identify career opportunities within the context of Hong Kong’s arts and cultural landscape.
- Vicky Wong, Founder and Managing Consultant, EPC Art Search
- Julie Huang, Senior Human Resources Director, Asia, Phillips Auctioneers
Moderator: Dr Henrietta Tsui-Leung, Founder, Galerie Ora-Ora