Who we are
Founded in 2012, the Hong Kong Art Gallery Association is a member-based non-profit organisation of established art galleries in Hong Kong.
With over 50 art galleries as members, our mission is to advance the Hong Kong art gallery community by providing one voice to its members, reaching out to the local and international art community, and helping deepen market knowledge and best practices amongst its members. HKAGA is officially recognised as a grant recipient of HK Arts Development Council for its dedication to and promotion of the arts scene in Hong Kong since 2014.
Providing one voice
- To be one point of contact to the art gallery community in Hong Kong
- To speak out on behalf of HKAGA members and become a strong lobbying body to advocate its members needs with the government, public and private agencies, and other bodies influencing the development of the Hong Kong art market
- To increase awareness and raise the image of Hong Kong galleries as key contributors to the growth and richness of the Hong Kong art scene
- To support the development of the local art community and the promotion of Hong Kong as the major international art centre in Asia through joint initiatives with the public and private sectors
- To find specific opportunities for exchange and cooperation between the HKAGA andmuseums, artists, academic institutions, auction houses, charities, other members of the Hong Kong art community, as well as other international art organisations
- To establish joint private and public collector development programs, including educational initiatives
Deepening market knowledge and best practice
- To increase awareness of market developments and explore joint initiatives to face common opportunities and challenges. This includes:
initiatives that improve the members’ competitiveness, such as joint negotiations for advertising, listings, fair participation, corporate sponsorship, insurance, shipping, and other services cooperative marketing programmes and exhibitions, which may be organised in conjunction with or parallel to other flagship art events
- To provide a forum for sharing industry knowledge and best practices through educational programmes, speaker series and training
- To promote the highest standards of connoisseurship and ethical practice amongst galleries operating in Hong Kong
- To provide a forum for galleries to seek support and assistance when they encounter problems or unfair treatment and when possible, support conflict resolution