The Sovereign Art Foundation or SAF (www.sovereignartfoundation.com) is a charity that was founded in 2003 in Hong Kong (SAF is now also registered in the UK, Singapore, Guernsey and South Africa). SAF runs the annual Sovereign Asian Art Prize with the purpose of raising money to help disadvantaged children. Since its inception, SAF has raised over US$6 million for charities and artists worldwide, funding projects using art as education, rehabilitation and therapy. The Sovereign Asian Art Prize is now recognised as the most prestigious prize in its field and region. In 2016, SAF launched the inaugural MENA Art Prize, for the Middle East & North Africa region. In addition, SAF has launched a number of student art prizes worldwide.
SAF also runs the ‘Make It Better Project’ (MIB), an initiative that offers empowering learning activities reinforced by visual and expressive arts to children living in some of Hong Kong’s most neglected areas.
This is an opportunity to be involved with the day-to-day workings of The Sovereign Art Foundation; to gain valuable applied experience and develop your skills within a professional setting.
Please note that tasks vary depending on the SAF calendar. You may be asked to help fulfil a need on a specific project, or help with day-to-day tasks. Responsibilities may include:
- Assist the SAF team in administration of the various SAF Prizes, including research, follow up and correspondence relating to nomination, entry and judging and Prize-giving processes.
- Assist the SAF team in planning and carrying out various events including public art exhibitions, fundraising and publicity events, patron’s events, charity workshops and presence at art fairs.
- Provide support to social media and marketing efforts, including strategic planning, researching and generating relevant and engaging content; and to monitor and regularly post across multiple social media platforms. To respond to online comments and messages in a timely and appropriate fashion.
- Assist in copywriting, editing and proof-reading content for online and print materials (English and Chinese if applicable).
- Assist in PR activities and liaise with media contacts.
- Practise proper email and telephone etiquette and liaise with various parties and professionals on behalf of SAF, including but not limited to; artists, curators and other arts professionals, professionals working in institutions, education and academia, local and international schools, arts students, charity volunteers, charity patrons, partners and sponsors.
- Complete any other research, administrative and marketing or Prize-related tasks and errands as assigned.
- Ideally an undergraduate or recent graduate
- Must hold HKID or appropriate visa (Working Holiday Visa accepted)
- Personable and a good team player
- Web and social-media savvy
- A creative and resourceful thinker with the ability to take initiative
- A keen interest in any of the following: contemporary art, charity and fundraising, expressive arts therapy, social media.
- A good level of written and spoken English (Cantonese is a bonus); ability to thoroughly fact-check, use good grammar and spelling.
Opportunities and skills that may be developed:
- Planning and logistics relating to art exhibitions and events
- Opportunity to learn about the general artistic practices trending in Hong Kong, Asia and beyond; to interact with a variety of arts professionals
- Networking and interpersonal skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Copywriting and editing
- Media relations
-Social media management and planning
- Organisation and working to deadlines
Duration: 3 months
Hours: 9pm-6pm, Monday – Friday (may involve some evenings or weekends)
Based at: Suites 1601-1603, Kinwick Centre, 32 Hollywood Road, Central
Remuneration: to be discussed
To apply please email: firstname.lastname@example.org